Source and Destination Selections

Jul 12, 2011 at 1:50 PM
Edited Jul 12, 2011 at 1:55 PM

I have a NAS I need to backup. We have a dedicated backup server at the main office, but a branch office is connected via L2L VPN over a relatively slow link. The link is too slow to fit the amount of data that they create in the branch office into our already crowded backup calendar. Reliability of the link is also a concern.

So to backup the NAS while not logged on (that is no logon script has run and therefore no mapped drives) using scheduled tasks, I must use a UNC to select the source. We are attaching a USB hard disk to the destination server to store these archives and the destination will be a local resource to the operating system.

So in effect I need the opposite of what your script does in the selection criteria, using a UNC for source and a local drive for destination. I see that you can use a local drive or UNC as a destination parameter. So how hard would it be to modify the script to be able to use a UNC in the selection file?

Regards,

PS>Nice bit of coding!

Coordinator
Aug 29, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Hi Sinistar,

thank you for your message. The problem about using UNC sources in the selection criteria is mainly related to the usage of junction.exe which is not able to junction remote paths. And the reason why we're using junction.exe is due to the fact that we need 7zip to scan a single root to avoid the problem of multiple duplicated files.

I am working on the problem by replacing junction.exe with mklink.exe which does allow remote UNC paths to be joint to a local path. Hope to release it in September 2011.

Stay tuned.

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Hello,

news about unc paths?

Regards

Coordinator
Feb 12, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Hi Ullrich,

I'm a bit late on schedule. I'll keep you informed.

Coordinator
Apr 19, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Hi ullrich,

I've just added support for symbolic links in Windows Vista / 7 / 2008. It's now possible to use UNC paths in selection criteria.

Best regards.

Apr 20, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Hi Anlan,

thank you :)
I'll test it the next days.

Regards