remote drive as backup source

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I am using 7zbackup to backup some of my sbs 2003 databases to my NAS. The NAS is not a part of my LDAP. Lets say the NAS netowrk drive is Z:\.

When i use Z:\ as a destination folder there is no problem at all. When i use Z:\ as a source and destination directory i get this error: failed to create junction to z:\ There are no selectable sources to backup. Quitting

I am logged in as admin and i have "full control" set on Z:\ on the security tab

Coordinator
Jan 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Hi pandelaras,

thank you for your message. This is not a matter of permission. The problem is "Z" is a mapped network drive. When you select it as a source then the script tries to create a junction point to it. But it's not possible to do that. You can't create a junction to a mapped network drive neither to a remote UNC path.

Thank you for using 7zbackup

Coordinator
Apr 19, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Hi pandelaras,

new release 1.8.0 adds support for UNC paths in Windows Vista / 7 / 2008. This is achieved using symbolic links. Unfortunately Windows 2003 (which apparently is your OS does not support them).

Best regards.

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:05 PM
Edited Apr 24, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Do you think something like that would work for me? I mean getting 7zbackup to work in this case

http://elsdoerfer.name/ntfslink

Coordinator
Apr 24, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I'm afraid not.

As far as I know neither hard-links nor junction points allow to select a remote UNC path as target. This is only possible with soft-links.