Restore feature

May 9, 2014 at 2:24 PM
Hello.

I love your 7Zbackup tool. It neatly packs all of the selected folders based on the selection list into the archive.

But what would really be even better is to create a built-in restore facility that automatically restores the aliased archive folders to their corresponding locations matching the selection list.
Coordinator
May 9, 2014 at 2:48 PM
Thank you Aditya for your appreciation and suggestion.

I think that opening any archive file with 7zfm.exe is more that enough to accomplish any kind of restore which, in my opinion, should be carefully taken into account only by interactive users (for example for overwrite operations). Anyhow any scripted restore operation would imply :
1) definition of what to restore (single files ? the whole archive ?)
2) definition of where to restore archived files (original locations ? alternative location ?)
3) if original location newer files already on target should be kept or overwritten ?
etc
etc

Or do you mean something else ?

Best regards.
Aug 27, 2014 at 10:57 PM
Hello Anlan,

I think the "Selection-Info.txt" has all the information for the restore operation, don't you think? If someone invokes 7zbackup with the -restore switch, then simply restore to the location specified in Selection-Info. Of course, you should detect existing folders; if found, then just abort since it is better not to overwrite. Either restore all or nothing.

It is so easy to have a default restore with the basic protection built in. It is very laborious to do this manually. Not having a minimum restore feature does not make it easy to convince colleagues to use it for backup purposes.

Anyways, something would be better than nothing, right?
Coordinator
Sep 4, 2014 at 1:30 PM
Hello Aditya,
after some thinking about this feature I confirm I will not implement it. There are too many issues which come to play. For example: restore from which archive ? The last-one ? But the last one of what ? The last incremental ? The last full ?

I think opening the archive with 7zip and simply drag-drop the items in the locations you want is not such a big effort and assures the maximum flexibilty.

All the best.