open files

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:15 PM
The newest version of 7zip can copy open files.

Does your script and the older version do this?

Also is there a way to do a VSS snapshot before the copy?, this is NOT necessary just a nice to have.

I absolutely love your script. I just wish it was using the latest version of 7zip and I wish it could copy files that are opened or locked.

Thanks,
Vince
Coordinator
Oct 22, 2015 at 7:56 PM
Hello vincentdipiazza and thank you for your post.

Actually the script works as a parser for a list of file to archive and let 7zip do the real job. As we're on 7zip 9.20 (wich AFAIK is the latest available) then the answer is YES: you can archive opened files too.

Talking about shadow copies ... well ... shadow copies are per-volume while this script merges different directories even from different volumes into a single junction (or symlink) root. What would you like to shadow copy exactly ?
Oct 28, 2015 at 3:36 PM
thank you sooo much.

You are correct there is no need for VSS.

However I really want to use the newest version of 7zip. Is there any way I can use your powershell script with the latest version of 7zip.

We have literally hundreds of thousands of files. And the latest version is much faster for compressing many files.

Thanks for all your help,
Vince
Coordinator
Oct 28, 2015 at 3:54 PM
Hi,
latest stable version for 7zip is 9.20. And we do support it.
Probably you are referring to version 15.x which is still in BETA.
If you need to test the script with 7zip 15.x you can do it. Simply install it and provide the right binary path to 7zbackup.ps1. Our script simply invokes 7zip execution via command line. If parameters structure are kept the same then there would be no problems.

If you could feed back your results it would be nice.
Nov 19, 2015 at 8:06 PM
The newest STABLE version of 7zip has now been released.

Can you please use the newest version?

I REALLY want to use the newest LZMA2 compression.

Thanks again,
Vince
Coordinator
Nov 20, 2015 at 7:08 PM
I have just tested 7zip 15.x and had no problems with it and with the script.
Simply install 7z 15.x as a replacement of 7z 9.x

Regards